Friday, October 18, 2013

Pumpkin Pie Cookies

IT'S FALL! I walked into Trader Joe's (my fav store ever) the other day, and pumpkin everywhere! Seriously, the best. So, here's the first of many fall recipes that will be coming up on my blog. I've slowly started to give up on studying for midterms, hence why I'm baking. I need motivation! Anyways, you guys will benefit from this. This recipe is so stinkin' easy, and perfectly pumpkin-y. One thing, I just realized that I put too much whipping cream and not enough sugar when I made this. That's why it was harder for me to put the filling in, because it kept spilling out. So make sure you follow the recipe exactly. Enjoy!!! 

Yours should look a little thicker and more orange than mine. I used too much whipping cream! I adjusted it in the recipe though, so don't worry!










Ingredients

2 boxes of Betty Crocker Pie Crust dry mix or Refrigerated Pie crust (Roll out dough)
1 cup pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
1 egg
¼ cup heavy cream
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

optional: 1/4 sugar + 1/2 tsp cinnamon, egg wash

Method

Preheat your oven to 350° F
To prepare the filling, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and beat on low speed until combined. Set aside.
Roll out dough into a large flat piece. If it's cold, it would be better and easier to work with.
Using a 3-inch round or pumpkin-shaped cutter, cut shapes out of the pie dough. Place these on the parchment paper, evenly spaced. Use a small paring knife to cut out eyes and a mouth.
Spoon about two teaspoons of filling into the center of each bottom pie crust. The more filling you get in there, the better!
Place each top crust on top of the pumpkin-topped bottom shapes. Press down the edges with something thin (I used a fork to make and seal the crimped edges).
Brush with an egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
Bake for 10-14 minutes, or until the filling is set. Cool on a wire rack.


Adapted from Building Buttercream

Even youths shall faint and be weary,
    and young men shall fall exhausted;but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
    they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
    they shall walk and not faint. 
{Isaiah 40:30-31}

No comments:

Post a Comment